Here's a tasty treat you can enjoy with your coffee in the morning. If you're looking for sugar free, dairy free coffee sweeteners, visit www.drjohns.com
This recipe is from the book No Naughties: Sweet treats without sugar, wheat, gluten and yeast.
1 large egg
100 g (7 tbsp) xylitol
½ tsp vanilla extract
65 g fine polenta (7 tbsp corn meal/maize meal)
65 g Doves Farm gluten-free white bread flour blend (7 tbsp King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour)
½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
¼ tsp salt
60 g (½ cup) whole blanched almonds*
70 g (½ cup) dark xylitol chocolate drops/dark xylitol chocolate chopped into tiny pieces
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Mix the polenta (corn meal), flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg and xylitol with an electric whisk until the volume triples.
4. Mix in the vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture, the almonds and the chocolate drops.
5. Spoon the thick mixture onto the baking tray, forming an oblong that looks like a log. The size should be about 25 cm x 5 cm (10 inch x 2 inch).
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the log is pale brown. Take out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/ 325F/gas mark 3.
8. Cut the oblong into 1 cm (⅓ inch) slices and turn them on their side. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Turn the slices to the other side and bake for another 5 minutes.
10. Let the biscotti cool and harden on a wire rack for a couple of hours. If you want them really crispy, leave to stand overnight before serving them or storing them in an airtight container.
Makes about 20
If you can’t eat nuts, leave out the almonds.
Copyright © Tarja Moles 2012. Photograph © Tarja Moles 2012. All rights reserved.
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.